Thursday 23 September 2010

Fear...? Keep the Faith!

A couple of weeks back Dear Hubby & I had a very scary moment.  Pea has been drooling, chomping on anything that goes near her mouth and not feeding normally.  Teething had come a calling!  So one evening, as we were getting ready for bed & Pea was waking for her feed.  We gave her some teething gel (yep, we're still doing everything in our power to get her to take a good feed so that she will sleep!), following the directions on the tube. 

5 minutes later, Pea was choking.  Thankfully, Dear Hubby was right next to her.  He swooped her up into his arms.  It resolved itself.  Pea settled quickly, the moment had passed.  Pea had her feed. She then went to bed.  But I was tempted to be afraid.  I stayed awake for hours.  Pea slept beautifully.  I took her to visit the Doctor.  Pea was as fit as a fiddle.  The Doctor confirmed that it was a choking episode, probably caused by a small amount of teething gel.  I was left asking...what if...?

I needed to have a word with myself.  One of Pea's given names means "our God saves."  As I went into labour, I was singing a song called Our God Saves.  At birth, our God saved our little Pea.  But still fear was creeping around the edges of my emotions.  Do I send myself mad, keeping a watchful eye?  Trying to control every situation to keep my Pea safe.  Trying to do God's job.

Where was my faith?  I reached a point where I realised that I have to trust that Pea is created for a purpose.  Her life is in God's hands.  It is my job to nurture & protect her.  Not to sustain her.  Our God saves!

Mind you, this realisation was helped along by Dear Hubby squirting half the tube of teething gel into his mouth.  Lying flat out on his back, he waited.  Apparently, it would cause choking!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Viks just read this - what a scary moment indeed. I have lately been letting myself get consumed with the 'what if we lose her' thoughts and even find myself crying about it. How is that living in faith? I've had to mentally stop myself from going down that road and thankfully I have a sane and balanced husband who puts me straight and points me to God. I'm learning to go straight to God when these thoughts enter my head. Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's the ONLY way to deal with these kind of thoughts, eh?! Don't know what I'd do without my sane other half too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We must be careful to think about what we are thinking about and asking God to enable us to dismiss such thoughts promptly ... I still have them now with K at 8 1/2! It so helps to have a verse to speak out loud instead (being anxious for nothing...)

    ReplyDelete