Friday 17 September 2010

Independence Day!

So, I've been mulling over the kind of women we want our girls to be.  Confident, strong, independent...but how does that fit with Godly submission?!  A friend recently commented that modern women have difficulty submitting to their husbands, because from their parents knee they are trained to be independent.  Is this how it has to be?  Can my girls experience the best of both worlds...and live in the benefit of independence & Godly submission?  My heart screams...YES!  They can!

I have realised that I need to model both independence & Godly submission to my girls.  As a woman, a wife & a mother...I need to learn how to hold these in tension. 

The trouble is the longer that I am married, the more complex I found submission & having my own opinion to be!  With Dear Hubby's wise leading...the layers of onion are being peeled away.  I can have an opinion, I can be independent in thought...Dear Hubby reminded me I just need to think of Jesus in the garden, before he was crucifed.  He had an opinion.  He didn't want to face the pain of the cross.  He told Father, passionately, how he felt about the situation.  But he yielded his will to the Father's.  He spent time with Father, talking until they were of one mind.

I was out with the girls a couple of weeks ago...a long story but we ended up seeing a children's entertainer.  One from decades ago...as part of his gig he asked the children to put their hands up if mummy was in charge at home.  All but one child put up their hand.  When asked if Daddy was in charge at home, up Bean's hand shot...  While the entertainer went on to diss women...I had a warm glow.  A glimmer of hope.  Maybe my girl's getting submission after all!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad my comment has had such a positive effect on you, I agree whole heartedly with your thoughts here. I'm glad H replied the way she did, I'm sad to say I doubt K would! I still have much to think on and work through on this issue!

    ReplyDelete