Friday 13 August 2010

Surviving the first 6 weeks...

So, we have always said the first 6 weeks, post-baby, is a dog show! 

The first 6 months are tough, but by then you kinda know what your doing & what baby needs.  So, how DO you survive those first few weeks?  How do you enjoy the magic of a newborn? 

Personally, I need to know what I am doing, when.  So I have some golden rules that I (try to!) follow, to make life with bubba more calm.  Obviously, newborns are slightly a law unto themselves...and they have so many growth spurts or developmental leaps that it can feel like you don't know which end to feed & which end to clean!!!  So, when I felt like I didn't know Pea or what she needed, I returned to these basics.  Focused on them.  Eased Pea into the structure.  Enventually, I'd calm down & feel like the experienced mum that I am!  A calm mum, a happy home does make!

The Rules
  • Get the day started at 7am!  Wake babe & follow the EAT, WAKE, SLEEP cycle
  • Establish a regular bed time - try & keep sleep cues the same
  • Make sure they always take a full feed (which also helps them to not get used to falling asleep when feeding)
  • Before you climb into bed, wake Bub & give them milk
Second time around, looking after Pea has been a tad easier...we've just faced some other challenges. But those are for another day!

Hope you have a good weekend!  We've got a fun one planned...will be back next week with more on the rules & other stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment